Decisions, decisions, decisions. We are constantly bombarded with options and the need to make decisions. Even a trip to the grocery store can become an exhausting exercise—an entire aisle dedicated to cereal (?)! When it comes to making serious decisions about our healthcare it's easy to become overwhelmed.
We contacted our fantastic area hospitals, Bridgeport Hospital, Greenwich Hospital, Norwalk Hospital, St. Vincent's Medical Center, Stamford Hospital, and Yale-New Haven Hospital, and grilled them for information about their top notch services and amenities. If you are considering a planned hospital stay or need high quality outpatient services, over the next six weeks we will feature each hospital to help you determine where to go and why.
(part of Yale-New Haven Health)
"…Caring for Your Life"
Bridgeport Hospital has 425 beds and is a private, not-for-profit acute care hospital, primarily serving patients from Fairfield and New Haven Counties. Bridgeport Hospital has 580 active attending physicians representing more than 60 subspecialties, and 235 medical/surgical residents and fellows in programs affiliated with Yale University School of Medicine.
The hospital has been undergoing renovations from the gorgeous new main lobby with a 12 foot high continuously flowing granite and glass water wall, to the new Fresh Inspirations Café, brand new elevators, new waiting rooms, family lounges and much more.
Specialize in the Treatment of
Holistic approach to health—services include yoga, massage, mental health counseling, naturopathic medicine, nutrition counseling and Pilates, in addition to plastic surgery, breast surgery and general surgery. The Breast Care Center’s expanded wellness services are part of a new effort to promote overall health. They recently added more office space and exam rooms, and new classroom space for workshops and movement classes.
Bridgeport Hospital provides services in partnership with your obstetrician, using the highest level of sophisticated technology. The experienced and knowledgeable doctors and nurses of The Birthplace at Bridgeport Hospital bring almost 2,600 new lives into the world each year.
The Birthplace was designed with their patients in mind. In fact they asked women what they wanted, and learned that mother's prefer to labor, deliver, and recover in one room. But once the delivery is over, new moms prefer a fresh, quiet room where they can show off their new baby to visiting family. So Bridgeport Hospital created birthing rooms and postpartum rooms all on the same floor.
Facilities & Amenities:
- Private Birthing Rooms have are light filled and decorated with soothing colors. Each room has a private shower, with Corian countertops and ceramic tile. Two rooms even have Jacuzzis, which can provide soothing relief in the early stages of labor.
- For a change of scene during labor, you can walk down the hall to the comfortable living-room atmosphere of the Labor Lounge.
- Private Postpartum Rooms feature the same soothing colors, and also have generous bathrooms with large showers. Their liberal Rooming-In policy helps you and your family bond with your new baby. Keep the baby with you as long as you like. When you need time for yourself, the skilled staff will give your baby tender, loving care in the nursery.
- Programs & Classes
- Tour the facility with soon to be big brothers and sisters with the specially designed Sibling Class and Tours
- Lacatation Specialists are available to answer any questions you have prior to giving birth and in the hospital after delivery.
- Breast Pump's are also available for rent and to purchase at the hospital.
- Whether you’re traveling abroad for business, pleasure, or with a humanitarian or student group, Bridgeport Hospital's clinicians provide pre-travel consultations, travel vaccines, medications and comprehensive travel information to help you prepare for a healthy and safe international trip. (Special group rates are available for groups of eight or more travelers).
This comprehensive program is provided in convenient locations throughout Fairfield County. Outpatient services focus on the unique needs of each patient (of all ages).
Services include — Neurological Rehabilitation to rebuild skills if you have had a stroke, brain injury, or neurological disorder; Orthopedic Services to rebuild strength and flexibility if you have a disease or injury involving the bones, joints and/or muscles; Foot Drop and Gait Training (including the WalkAide System); Communication Therapy to improve speech if you have a voice or language disorder; Cognitive Therapy to improve skills if you have impairments related to attention, concentration, memory, reasoning and organization; Lymphedema Services to reduce and control swelling if you have an impairment of the lymphatic system; Hand Therapy to improve the function of your hands after injury; Women’s Health Program for women who have been diagnosed with pelvic floor dysfunction; and Functional Arm Training to improve use of your arms and hands after a stroke.