While dating apps like Tinder, Bumble and Zoosk are easily accessible in the era of tech-overload, they can come across for some as a bit impersonal and, quite frankly, uncomfortable. That’s why we gathered up a list of thirty things to do around Fairfield County to find love. Whether you prefer to fly solo or enjoy the support of friends, there is a ton of activities, groups and places to go for all single types. Here are our choices for going solo and when going with a group.
Part One: 15 Things To Do Solo
1. Meetup – This popular site brings together singles from all across Fairfield County in very distinctive, unique ways. Some of the groups you are able to join are the Urban Professionals Network, The Hiking Group, Single and Italian and Wine and Art Lovers. What better way to meet other singles than by having a mutual connection right off the bat? meetup.com
2. Coffee Shop Fix – For those with coffee running through their veins at all times, a cozy, quaint coffee shop can be just the ticket to curing those singles blues. Read a book, catch up on work and maybe get the cute barista behind the counter to write his/her name on your coffee cup order. It’s rom-com cliché, but we love an Allie and Noah meet-cute.
3. Join a Fitness Group – Finding someone with a shared love for athletics is a good way to not only get active, but also a great way to find someone fit for you. We hear places like The Bar Method and Pure Barre or Rock Climb Fairfield and BETA Climbing + Fitness in Stamford is a great way for people to meet every week and form a bond.
4. Join a Cause – On any given weekend, you can find an organization or charity holding events and fundraisers all across Fairfield County. Maybe you’re really into politics and social issues or have fought or known someone whose dealt with cancer? There are so many groups on meetup.com and people who post on Facebook or through the old school flyer in a coffee shop looking to add members to their cause.
5. Dance It Out – One fun way to get back into the dating groove is to sign up for a dance class. Whether you’re up for salsa dancing, hip-hop, Zumba or musical theater, a ton of studios choices means you can find your favorite style of dance. We suggest something like ballroom or swing dancing, because dancing with a partner is a great way to heat things up.
6. Craft Beer Hangouts – Beer-lovers getting together to drink beer? That’s a singles activity we can HOP(s) on. Craft-beer connoisseurs looking to find love have plenty of choices. Try the CT Beer Trail by visiting Aspetuck Brew Lab in Bridgeport, sipping on craft beer at Rothbard Ale + Larder in Westport, stopping by Half Full Brewery to see how their brew is made, and day-drinking at The Beer Garden at Shippan Landing on warm summer Saturdays.
7. Join a Dog Walking/Pet Rescue Group – Walking your dog doesn’t have to be a chore if you’re doing it with a group. Meet up with other singles and let your good boy make friends with others Also, help out a shelter pet by volunteering at your local rescue.
8. Visit an Art/History Museum – Some of us dream of a partner who’s well educated, cultured and asks, “Are you more a Matisse or a Picasso fan?” In that case, find that special someone at the Fairfield University Art Museum, the Bruce Museum in Greenwich, your local historical society and much more.
9. Take a Class at a University/College – It’s always a good idea to learn something new. That’s why we think taking a class at UConn Stamford, Sacred Heart University or Fairfield University is a smart way to meet others.
10. “On My Own” – Seeing plays and musicals is not the only way to get your theater fix. Get involved! Organizations like Curtain Call Inc. in Stamford, the Carriage House in Norwalk, Westport Community Theatre and more hold auditions for their season all the time. Meet fellow actors and collaborators and watch your own love story unfold.
11. Find a Book Shop – You’re the protagonist of your own love story, so why not begin a new chapter by finding love among the bibliophiles at your local book store. Finding someone with your same taste in books might be the first chapter of many.
12. Cultural/Church Events – Whether you consider yourself devoted, spiritual or trying to be, local churches, temples and religious groups frequently hold faith-focused events, day trips and peer groups. Additionally, if you’re trying to reconnect with your heritage, cultural centers can introduce you to singles who share your background or language of origin.
13. Single Parent Groups – Being a single parent can be daunting. Groups for single moms and dads, like Meetup and The Single Parents Network, offer a way to meet other singles with kids.
14. Join a Sober/Support Groups – Whether you’re dealing with a divorce, loss of a loved one or an addiction, Fairfield County has your back. Support groups can be a safe space and social outlet while you get ready for dating again.
15. Book a Wine Tasting – Here cheers to a blossoming romance and you sip on delicious wines along the Connecticut Wine trail or at local tastings with someone who shares your sophisticated palate.
Part II: 15 Things To Do With Friends
1. Have a Laugh – Laugh away your “forever single” problems by seeing a comedy show with friends. Places like the Fairfield Comedy Club and The Klein in Bridgeport are a great way to catch regional comedians and spots like The Palace Theater in Stamford, Fairfield Theatre Company and the Ridgefield Playhouse bring in some big acts.
2. Capt. John’s Tiki Tours – This is one of our costlier suggestions, but if you got the dough, it is WORTH it. Rent out a Polynesian-style floating lounge for parties up to six and drift away into the Stamford Harbor with great tunes and even better company. Heads up, it’s BYOB (bring your own booze). captjohnstikitours.com
3. Catch Live Music – Music is a great way to bring people together. StageOne at FTC and The Acoustic Cafe in Bridgeport showcase local talents and events like the summer-long “Alive @ 5” and “Wednesday Nite Live” concert series in downtown Stamford brings in big name artists with a lively beer garden as an added social perk for singles.
4. Trivia Night – Pub Trivia is hitting its stride lately for singles of all ages. What better way to show off your intelligence than meeting other knowledgeable singles and discounted drinks? We suggest Sign of the Whale and Tigin’s in Stanford and Local Kitchen & Craft Beer Bar in Fairfield.
5. Find Your Match – We’re BIG fans of puns and of having a delicious meal with friends and socializing with local singles at Match Burger Lobster in Westport or Match in South Norwalk. Matt Storch, celebrity chef and owner of both creates delicious casual and fine cuisine with a fun bar scene at both, great for singles ready to mingle. matchburgerlobster.com; matchsono.com
6. See a Drag Show – RuPaul isn’t the only one who’s fabulous. You and your friends better WERK and visit bars like Troupe429 in Norwalk to see a drag show in its performance space. This LGBTQ hangout also has karaoke and bar games that will make any singles night exciting. troupe429.com
7. Go to Your Class Reunion – They say high school is the best and worst time of your life. But hey, if going to your 5th, 10th or 20th high school or college reunion means seeing that your crush has aged quite nicely, and is single, we say give it a go.
8. Themed Bar Crawls – We’ll give any excuse to dress up. Stamford is choke-full of bar crawls year-round that will make for a fun day with friends. During the holidays, go to SantaCon (might be hard to spot your crush tbh) down Bedford Street or the Ugly Sweater Bar Crawl down Harbor Point. The St. Patrick’s Day Block Party at Tigin Irish Pub is a favorite and find the luck of the Irish.
9. Do an Escape Room – For the non-claustrophobic folks, an escape room is an awesome rainy activity to do with a group of people. If you go with a small group, odds are they’ll pair you with another small group and have to work as a team to find your way out. Stamford’s trap’t and Deadlocked escape rooms are musts, as is the Panic Room in Norwalk. What better icebreaker than getting locked in a room with complete strangers?
10. Shopholics Anonymous – Listen, this may seem like an activity to do by yourself, but shopping with friends sometimes just does the trick. Plus, having a friend tell you what looks good or not is a plus. Lot of stores in Fairfield County hold sidewalk sales, which is a great way to bump into other singles who share your taste in fashion.
11. bartaco – Tacos + margaritas + waiters and waitresses in cute gingham shirts and white slacks = singles heaven. With locations in Westport, Stamford and nearby Portchester, bartaco has the kind of relaxed, warm atmosphere that singles will appreciate. Did we mention tacos? bartaco.com
12. Adventure Park at the Discovery Museum – Zipling, climbing and more is an amazing, adventurous activity for you to do with friends, especially when the weather’s warm. The 13 “Treetop Trails” in Bridgeport are breathtaking, with expert assistants helping you the entire way. “Glow in the Park” the nighttime climbing and ziplining event through the lit-up forest is a must, and heart-racing way to hang out with other singles. discoveryadventurepark.org
13. RPM Raceway and Bowling – The newly constructed RPM Raceway in Stamford is a sure-fire way to kick your dating game into full gear. The high-octane racetrack is a fast, exhilarating thrill to have with friends. The facility also has a state-of-the-art bowling alley, virtual-reality corner, arcade and fully stocked bar and restaurant. rpmraceway.com
14. Take to the Water – Living by the coast has its perks in Fairfield County. Beaches are abundant in Fairfield, Norwalk and Stamford. Penfield Beach, Jennings Beach, West Beach, Tod’s Point and Cove Beach are just some of the amazing beaches you can purchase a day pass to hang out at, watch July 4th fireworks and more, year-round. Look into kayak, paddleboard, and boat rentals in your area for even more fun.
15. Stretch It Out – Take waterfront yoga down Harbor Point in Stamford with a group of friends. Most of the time its free and a great way to meet other single yogis. Check harborpt.com/happenings for schedule of when they are offering outdoor yoga and other activities.